Did you know that art has healing powers and an emotional component for your thought process that reveals itself every time you view it?
Art is being used in many hospitals, senior nursing homes and places of healing such as doctor offices because of its proven abilities to have healthier results for patients.
Instead of taking pills and expensive remedies for stress and other ailments caused by the fast paced lives we lead today, owning a painting that will do the same thing for you without side effects is a much healthier option. These places hang art because patients heal faster and are less stressful during their stay there. Viewing art makes them feel more at peace.
Art buyers and collectors purchase art because they know the value of surrounding themselves with images that keep them healthy and stimulates their moods. You might think you can't afford original art but you can't afford not to own it considering health costs today.
If you see a painting that speaks to you and attracts your attention somewhere deep inside, you must consider owning it.
Consider owning a print or an original piece of art.
There is always a way to own something that makes that big of a difference in your life. Many artists, including myself, accept time payments. Once it is paid off, it becomes yours. But you can always own a print which is much less expensive. Contact the artist to see if they sell prints of their work.
Why should you consider owning art?
Because every time you view it, it will give you that same feeling. It will revert back to some memory or stimulate a reaction/feeling that can excite, stimulate, empower or calm you. It will quiet your soul as nothing else can. Or it can make you have a dialogue with yourself that can result in a resolution of an issue. And after you have resolved that issue, every time you view it, it will give you the confidence boost of that finality.
Art makes you realize you are not alone.
At least one other person has had these same emotions or feelings that you are experiencing. And all people need to feel a connection to someone. What an amazing investment that is that keeps on giving to you. I am not saying that you have to become an artist to get that healing power. But you might want to consider owning art and hanging it on the walls of your office and/or home. I get the benefit from creating it and then viewing it when I need to, but you will get the benefit from a piece that speaks to you in a way that creates a reaction.
How does art heal or change your mood?
Let's look at some examples:
You see a painting of a landscape at a gallery or in a museum of a place that you visited with your mother and father when you were a child. It immediately brings you back to your childhood and that trip. The memories it reveals can be comforting and relieve the anxiety and stress you have been feeling for awhile. Or it can bring you a smile and a giggle because of an funny incident that happened on that trip. We all need more smiles and laughter in our lives.
Relieving stress is the #1 issue plaguing us as a health issue today. And Stress kills.
Chronic stress disrupts nearly every system in your body. Some of the symptoms include irritability, anxiety, depression, headaches and insomnia. It can upset your digestive system, your reproductive system, your immune system and increase risks of a heart attack or stroke. It also speeds the aging process!
Many of my paintings are created over the personal and societal issues I face that need some resolution and clarity.
The reason that I paint about them is because it releases stress and anxiety from my body and thought process. These are events that happen in my environment/country/world that I need to share with my visual voice on canvas.
And it resolves the stress for me even though I may not resolve the issue.
I have a dialogue with myself while I am painting about the event or issue and somehow it helps because I am recording it and sending it out to the world for you to view and have a dialogue with yourself or others as well. And somehow that helps my soul, that of helping others facing issues and having dialogues.
Here are some examples of my visual voice and their messages:
Empowerment Feelings
This abstracted, acrylic painting, I Am Woman, I Can Fly-Butterfly, was painted at a point in my career when I needed some inspirational message that I could look at to keep myself going. I was feeling conflicted and confused about my career path as a creative. Needing an image to empower myself to keep going was important for my morale and empowerment. Have you felt like that about your career or life path at times?
Whenever I feel this way all I have to do is look at this image to regain my footing and make the decisions that are difficult to make when you are feeling down on yourself. It brings back the memories of how I felt at that time and how I solved it and went on. It inspired a certain amount of confidence that I had made the right decisions. And I could do it again.
This image is such an important message for women when they lose their way, as many of us do, and need some inspiring thoughts. It is produced on journals, mugs, tote bags and other products that you carry around with you for that reason. To view that journal or other empowering messaged journals that I have created just for you, go to Zazzle . I promise they will keep you motivated and inspired.
Social Issue: Diversity
These past several years have been very difficult for those coming to our country seeking asylum and for other reasons. They have been separated from their children and kept in cages for long periods of time. And it has been terrorizing for those who have been in crisis situations where mass shootings have occurred.
Whether for the color of your skin, your religion, the country you come from, or your beliefs, society today is very polarized. Just hearing about a new crisis on the news almost on a daily basis was bringing up many emotions inside me that were very difficult to process. Sadness, pity, anger, fear, lack of trust and many more feelings were making the rounds in my body. Do these horrific events bother you like this too?
Diversity, an acrylic and mixed media painting, was the only way I could feel some relief from these mixed emotions. It expressed, using different colors, different shapes and different textures the dialogue with myself about getting along and celebrating our differences. Why can't we get along? If you would like a print of this, you can go to my site on Zazzle.
This painting, even though it is a stimulating image to view, can start a dialogue with yourself on how you can remedy some of these issues in your life. It can also start a positive dialogue with others. And it can give some comfort that it is out there in the world with its visual voice. That is my contribution and it comforts me to share it with others and make an impact for some.
That can be a healing transaction in itself for anyone. Thinking and dialogue leads to compromise and some understanding and change may follow. Currently, I am still fearful of going to large events. Church, movie theaters, concerts, and all public places need to become safe places again. We need a lot of healing to get rid of the sadness, anger and fear on both sides of these issues.
LOSS
If you have suffered the loss of a family member, than you know that it takes time to recover and get back on the road of life.
That happened to me about 5 years ago. It took me about 9 months before I could paint again. And it turned into a series of 8 paintings named Emotional Reactions 1-8. They were small paintings, each 12" X 12", acrylic and mixed media on canvas. But they allowed me to let go of some of my reactions and emotions that I had been carrying around with me during that hiatus.
X's and O's for love and kisses, arrows, stitches, heart, lines in darkness and in light. different shapes and textures, these were just some of the symbols that were expressed in these 8 paintings. Only 2 are shown here but they all look different and alike at the same time. They were a cathartic step for my recovery and only 1 step in the process.
The healing for me was painting those feelings and reactions on canvas. But for the viewer and owner of a painting that expresses whatever feelings that are descriptive of their inner turmoil, it begins the recognition and healing process of that pain and conflict. Even when you are healed, looking at where you were gives you a certain peace to be on the other side of that step we have to go through to begin healing.
I could go on and explain the healing power of every one of my paintings but that would take forever and a day. On my website, I give a little explanation about each painting on its work zoom page if you click on the painting itself. And you can email me for a more detailed story behind any painting that intrigues you.
I hope that reading my descriptions of how creating my paintings brings me emotional release and healing, that it helps you in understanding how art in your environment can help you as well.
Original Art makes YOUR life so much richer. The feelings that it creates & the memories it restores for YOU when viewing it are priceless.
Find a piece of art that speaks to you and you have found a treasure for life.
1. Do you have a piece of art that is Healing for you? Tell us about it.
Please comment on my blog post. Let me know if you have any questions.2. Join my Art Insider's Group for more in depth commentary, art and bonuses. Plus you will get the current FREE BONUS in your email. You don't want to miss the bonus!3. And what about social media? Are you following me yet? Go there & follow me now, please.
#abstract-art #health #healing #social-issues #medicine #art #painting #stress
Read More