Blog

 

Join My List to View Art and News 1st  Sign Up

 

Payment Plans Now Available by Email

 

Visually and emotionally stimulating ART that you surround yourself with impacts and enriches your life everyday.

 

7/3/2022 12:39:02 PM

Contemporary Abstract Painting as a Tribute to Women of Long Ago

Comment on this

Women in the beginning of settling our country had the talent and desire to create art too.



So I salute them too on this 4th of July. As they did their part also to fight to keep us free.

 

 

They had to work from morning til night trying to take care of their families.

 

 

They had to grow their food and preserve it for the hard winter seasons.

 

 

 

 

Quirky Quilt   ~  24" x 18" x 1.5"  ~  Acrylic/MM on Canvas

 

 

They had to bear children, teach them and take care of them.

 


They had to make the clothing, spin the thread to make the clothes, cook, clean and keep up the household.

 


WOW…can you imagine wanting to have time to use your artistic talent?

 


And to make it worse, knowing how unrealistic for a woman to be recognized as a woman with artistic talent!

 


Today we have so many conveniences that make it possible for women like me to find the time to purge our talent from our heart and soul.


But it is still a challenge as a woman, a female, to be accepted and recognized.

 


This painting is a tribute to all those women before me who still had the spirit to find a way to express themselves.

 


I learned to quilt as a young girl. It taught me math, patience, design and using my creativity with patterns and shapes to create something precious.

 


I am very grateful for this knowledge and the time I have to create.

 

 


Quirky Quilt
   ~  24" x 18" x 1.5"  ~  Acrylic/MM on Canvas

 

Contact me for availability on these paintings as originals or prints. Or if I can help you in any way.


Payment Plans make it EASY to own the Original ART YOU DESIRE. Email me. (for original paintings only)

 

1. Join my free list by clicking the image below or text next to the image.

  • to be the 1st for updates,

  • FREE tips about designing/arranging art in any room, 

  • special bonuses for you

  • And…Your first original art purchase gets FREE shipping.

Contact me to help you to select art based on your room 

 

Join My List to be First to View New Art and News     Sign up now 

 

2.  And then go to my social media and follow me there. A big thanks.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest

 

Read More

6/25/2022 1:46:42 PM

My Rights As A Female and A Contemporary Artist

Comment on this

HOW DARE THEY…after 50 years think they can control my body choices!

 

 

June 24, 2022 was a very devastating day for me and millions of people who believe in women’s rights to choose their own destiny.

 

 

This is not about abortion, but about CONTROL.

 

 

If the Right feel they can decide not to take a COVID vaccine, infect millions of people and kill millions with that decision but then decide they can control my reproductive rights, they are seriously wrong.

 

 

The Right thinks it is okay to murder kids in school and traumatize them for the rest of their lives so they can carry and sell guns but females can’t make a choice for their path in life before a child is born.



Whether it is rape, health problems, or a choice about life situations, you are the only one who should make that decision.

 

 

My Body, My Choices  24" x 24" x 1.5"  Acrylic/MM on Canvas

 

 

We will fight back and make them sorry for their hate for women and their love of total control.

 

 

The next to come…taking away your right to contraceptives. If you have a miscarriage they will investigate you.

 

 

If you continue to vote for the GOP, you are giving them the power to control your life, your destiny.

 

 

The only way we win control back of our bodies is vote for the people who respect your rights.

 

 

Contact me for availability on these paintings as originals or prints. Or if I can help you in any way.

 


Payment Plans make it EASY to own the Original ART YOU DESIRE. Email me. (for original paintings only)

 

1. Join my free list by clicking the image below or text next to the image.

  • to be the 1st for updates,

  • FREE tips about designing/arranging art in any room, 

  • special bonuses for you

  • And…Your first original art purchase gets FREE shipping.

Contact me to help you to select art based on your room 

 

Join My List to be First to View New Art and News     Sign up now 

 

2.  And then go to my social media and follow me there. A big thanks.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest

 

Read More

5/30/2022 12:49:48 PM

It's Memorial Day and What It Means to This Artist

Comment on this




When I created this art piece a month or so ago, it came from the heart.


Painting: Darkness Falls in a Color Display ~ 12" x 12" x 1.5" ~ Acrylic/Mixed Media on Canvas


And Memorial Day is the perfect day that represents its wishes and meaning.


Darkness can mean many things to society.


There are 2 very important aspects of darkness that give meaning and pleasure to most.


The color display that accompanies the night sky as darkness falls is an absolute wonder to behold.


And at night many people send up love to the deep, dark universe for loved ones who have passed before them.


Some send their love up there for a better society in hopes that it will go where it is needed most.


My meaning for this painting was about the people I had lost but had sacrificed for me and my desire for a more stable society.


I had a husband who died too young because of the effects on his body and mind from serving in war. So this is a day that speaks to him.


War does terrible things to those who fight in it.


But I also feel that Memorial Day, because it is about those who sacrificed for us, I have to include my mother here as well.


She was my hero and role model because she remained positive and inspirational for me even though she had a very trying life because of war.


She went on and created a business when it was difficult for women to do that.


And she was always helping those less fortunate than herself.


But she also remained true to her 4 daughters even though she was divorced from a husband that also suffered from the effects of war. So I send up my thoughts and blessings to  her as well today.


My hopes today is that we don’t ever hurt families again just to justify war.


My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine because I know what the effects of this war will cost to their human spirit for years to come.

 

The war is not over when the shooting and destruction stops. For many families it lasts their whole lifetime.


Look up to the sky at dusk and send your blessings to your loved ones.


But please also send up your positive thoughts for a better and more mindful society.

 

When you look at this painting, what does it say to you? Does it give you hope? Does it stimulate to send your best thoughts up to the universe?

 

I hope so. We need your help to create a better society.

 

For me, creating art is the healing process. My collectors tell me that my art reminds them to give thought to an issue and helps them heal as well.

 

Contact me for availability on these paintings as originals or prints. Or if I can help you in any way.


Payment Plans make it EASY to own the Original ART YOU DESIRE. Email me. (for original paintings only)

 

1. Join my free list by clicking the image below or text next to the image.

  • to be the 1st for updates,

  • FREE tips about designing/arranging art in any room, 

  • special bonuses for you

  • And…Your first original art purchase gets FREE shipping.

Contact me to help you to select art based on your room 

 

Join My List to be First to View New Art and News     Sign up now 

 

2.  And then go to my social media and follow me there. A big thanks.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest

 

Read More

3/16/2022 11:20:50 AM

Contemporary Abstract Figurative Paintings Can Empower Your Voice

Comment on this

We females all need reminders that we are not alone in our truths. With all the noise out there, we can become intimidated in our feelings about life. And we can feel isolated and alone.

 

In these times of frightening events in our world, it is so important for each of us that we remember what we value as a human being. That is why my exhibit, The Ladies Tell Their Own Story, is so important!



 

I Am Woman, I Can Fly, American Kestrel Bird ~ Acrylic/Mixed Media on Canvas ~ 30" X 24" X 1.5"

 

 

 

As a female…our rights are eroding.  Women of our generation fought hard to gain those rights for us.

 

 

Don’t let their lifelong efforts be destroyed. And have to continue to fight the same issues over and over again.

 

 

My Ladies tell their own stories.  I’ve experienced these events as a female and use my voice visually in my figurative paintings to empower and encourage myself and you.

 

 

 

Reflecting Fondly ~ Acrylic/Mixed Media on Canvas ~ 40" X 30" X 1.5"

 

 

 

Every time I view these paintings I realize all that we can lose and they empower my voice and my determination about our rights.

 

 

Go now to my Solo Virtual Exhibit, The Ladies Tell Their Own Story. And feel how they empower and encourage you. 

 

 

Let one of my LADIES reside in your home or office to keep you centered in your truths as a female. As a reminder for all females, your mother, your grandmother, your aunt, cousin, daughter, the neighbor next door…and for all men.

 

 

You can own any of these female paintings by clicking the individual painting’s link right in the exhibition. Remember, there is only one original.



Email me and let me know you visited my EXHIBITION and how it made you feel. 

 

Contact me for questions on these paintings as originals or prints. Or if I can help you in any way.

 


Payment Plans make it EASY to own the Original ART YOU DESIRE. Email me. (for original paintings only)

 

1. Join my free list by clicking the image below or text next to the image.

  • to be the 1st for updates,

  • FREE tips about designing/arranging art in any room, 

  • special bonuses for you

  • And…Your first original art purchase gets FREE shipping.

Contact me to help you to select art based on your room 

 

Join My List to be First to View New Art and News     Sign up now 

 

2.  And then go to my social media and follow me there. A big thanks.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest

 

 

Read More

10/30/2019 12:12:28 PM

What Is Your Harassment Story? Let Me Tell You Mine...

Joyce wynes / Comment on this

Life gets complicated enough for most people and then there are the harassment issues that create life challenges that can change the course of everything you hold dear.

 

 

Your career, your partnership with friends and love ones, your values...

If you have ever been harassed verbally or physically, you know how it effects you personally.

 

 

Now, when I was a young woman, I was verbally harassed many times but there were only several times that I couldn't handle the situation and had to do whatever I could to get out of the situation (mostly lie gracefully and exit quickly).

 

But let me tell you my story that affected my budding career and the way I look at the world.

My hope for you is that you do not have a story of physical or verbal abuse that affected you in very personal ways. But if you do, it would be most appreciated if you would share it here and release it into the world so that we have a collection of stories that paint a picture of what abusers look like. 

 

 

My Story of Sexual Harassment

 

It was the beginning of the second chapter of my life choices and the road's twists and turns.

My children were both in school, with my daughter just entering kindergarten. My passion all my life was art but I went to business school after graduating from high school because art was looked upon as a non-paying job. So until my kids were in school, finance was the field I was in because I was always good with numbers.

 

So, with some freedom and a little bit of extra time, I went back to college to get an art education.

It was not easy shuffling schedules each semester and prolonging what should have taken several years into four years to get my degree. Because I worked part time and had all the house chores of being a wife and mother, it was with great pleasure and pride when graduation day came and I excelled with awards and an eagerness to get on with my new career.

 

I bet you know my feeling...out there finally, ready to get my first job in the work that I was passionate about.

Graphic design was how I had to start in order to make a living while I submitted my portfolio to get some illustration assignments and found the time to continue to create my fine art paintings.

 

You all know the female thing, and it is especially hard for women in the arts to be represented equally in that field.

But I found a graphic design job with a company that designed church bulletins. Yeah, right, of all places to get sexually harassed! But it was a start and I was eager to get some experience and move on.

 

I worked diligently, day after day, at my computer trying to create a little excitement and spirit in each bulletin.

Most of the other employees were single and younger so we really didn't have much in common but it was fun to be a part of the team. The manager was a JERK but I didn't have many dealings with him until one day he called me in his office and offered me the job of assistant manager. His other female assistant manager had left abruptly and he needed my answer asap.

 

Like I mentioned above, I didn't have much in common with the other underlings so I wasn't privy to the company gossip.

Apparently this manager had gone through many female assistants and had ruined all of their marriages. Some lost custody of their children. When the manager made his advances to me, I refused. Suddenly, I was not included in meetings and all the decisions that take place for me to do my job.

 

It wasn't long before I had to quit. The JERK made it impossible for me to do my job.

I wrote up my 3 week resignation letter and gave it to him. Two weeks later, and because I hadn't heard from the main office located in another state, I called up their HR department and asked them about some questions I had about my last paycheck, etc. They did not know I was leaving because he had never handed in my letter. They immediately flew someone down to our office the next day for an exit interview.

 

The interviewer guy took me outside at a picnic table and wanted to know why I was leaving.

While I didn't go into a lot of details, I got the feeling that he had a good idea already about the circumstances of why I was leaving. And he had heard it before from the other females because he asked me if I was going to be pressing sexual harassment charges. Actually, thinking back to our conversation, that was what he was most interested in knowing.

 

Here was my dilemma...

Did I want to press charges and not be able to win in court because these cases were never winners in court in those days. And ruin my career as it was just getting started because it would be known why I left my job. At that time, most art directors and managers were men. You get the gist. I was not going to ruin my career over this JERK. So I didn't tell anyone why I left my job. Even my husband...because I knew he would go and confront the JERK and I just wanted to get away clean. 

 

You see, the JERK would have won no matter what I did.

He kept his job through all those females and their ruined lives. I wouldn't have had much of a chance in court in those days, even up to a few years ago. So I would have ruined my career just as it was getting started at his expense just for saying NO. And that would have given him a win of ruining my career for saying NO. And he would have stimulated some family trouble.

 

I went out and found another graphic design job and went on with my career

making strides for my illustration and fine art. And finally I was able to drop creating graphic design and just focus on my painting and illustration.

 

It was brutal, and in most cases still is, for women who have been harassed.

They are the ones who were forced to live with it and not create problems or the result was to get punished again for being a victim. I hope those days are coming to a close but that is an unrealistic dream.

 

 There will always be harassers and people who will get harassed.

What we have to change is how society views the problem and what can be done to keep it at a minimum. And the most important point is to believe the person that is a victim of this crime. I call it out now for what it is without really caring if the offender takes offense. And it is a category of figurative painting that I create to give voice to the issues that plague women. Women's issues are important to me as a person and a creative because I have experienced most of them in my lifetime.

 

My story now has been told but only to a few people up to this point.

Now anyone who reads this post will know my story. I even told my husband several years later, once it was too late for him to react in his manly way. It is very cathartic to release it to the world. Your story is yours to tell and I would love to hear it if you are ready to share. If you want to share it privately, you can email me. Let it go into the atmosphere!

 


 

1. Please comment on my blog post. Let me know if you have any questions.

2. Join my Art Insider's Group for more in depth commentary, art and bonuses. Plus you will get the current FREE BONUS in your email. You don't want to miss the bonus!

3. And what about social media? Are you following me yet? Go there & follow me now, please.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read More

8/9/2019 12:50:30 PM

Women In Art, Where Are They? Still...

Joyce Wynes / Comment on this

This is an article about the inequality of women in the fine arts field- gender inequality. Gender inequality is worse in the fine art career fields than in most other career fields. Shocking isn't it?  Come on people, where is the outrage?

 


I think it is important for everyone in the "fine art business" to read the article Where Are All The Women Artists? by Erin Spencer, Contributor for ForbesWomen because it shows how long this gender inequality has been going on for women artists. And has gotten worse since 1985 when I created my painting, Women in Art, Where Are They?

 

 

  
Yes, only 13.7% of living artists represented in galleries in North America and Europe are women!

 

 

But these statistics are also important for those people looking to purchase art and art collectors/lovers. You are missing out on a huge segment of creative, unseen art from the female artist sector that records the history of art from another perspective!

 

 

FACT: When over 51% of the fine art created is hidden from view, you miss out on a huge sector of artistic talent. And those who control the fine art businessess & the marketing/critiqueing of fine art are doing that to us.

 

 

As someone who has an avid interest in viewing art that gives you pleasure and insight, and myself, as a creative, female artist with contemporary paintings that are competitive in the fine art world, we need to change this immediately.

 

 
The staggering statistics below are why female artists are always searching for answers why their art isn't "good enough" and taking so many marketing courses.

 

 

I know that was my reasoning. I felt it had to do with something I was doing wrong! Well, I don't think that way anymore. I am a statistic of the "masters in control of deciding who gets noticed in the art world".

 

 

Just to show you how aware I was of this problem since graduating from college in 1985, and how long I have been following this gender inequality issue, my 1st painting after graduating was named "Women in Art, Where are They?"

 

 
And it won 1st place in a juried 13 county show at the Cayuga Museum of Art & Science in NYS! Quilting was the only art form for many women since the beginning of time so I used that female art form and some famous male paintings to make my point!

 

 

One of the male viewer's at the opening night exhibition came up to me and said, "You know what would be great? If you actually made the quilt!"

 

 

OMG, OMG, I had just won 1st place and that wasn't good enough! Females always have to do more and even that isn't always enough! What he was doing was sending me back to quilting as a form of art as if the painting wasn't enough. If I was a male who created this painting, would he have told me to create the quilt?

 

 

 

Women In Art, Where Are They? - Acrylic - Canvas - 44 x 37 x 7/8 - Available - See More Info
 

 

 

The saddest fact is that the statistics have gotten even worse since 1985 for women artists since I created this painting!

 

 
An enlightened article for you to read: Where Are All The Women Artists? by Erin Spencer for ForbesWomen. I have copied the statistics paragraph here but please go online to Forbes to read the entire article. The 3rd paragraph from the article, that I put copied below, gives some startling statistics!

 

 

________________________________________________

 

According to the National Endowment for the Arts, 51% of living visual artists in the US today are women and, on average, those women earn 81 cents for every dollar made by their male contemporaries.

 

A recent study by the Public Library of Science found that of the permanent collections of 18 prominent art museums in the US, 87% of the represented works were completed by men.

 

Most recently, a joint study conducted in 2017, by artnet Analytics and Maastricht University in 2017 found that just 13.7% of living artists represented in galleries in Europe and North America are women.

 

 

________________________________________________

 

 

 

Unbelievable statistics in this article... I for one, as a long-time feminist and artist, am outraged.

 

First, I can't understand why all females, at birth, aren't designated feminists who stand up for their equal treatment and gender equality in this world. We all come out of the birth canal kicking and screaming up a storm no matter what our gender.

 

 

And second, as a fine artist, that my art is being neglected with many other wonderful, creative female artists because the "fine art controllers" feel we aren't worthy enough to be shown. How dare that we allow them to do this to us.

 

 

Again, art lovers and artists, where is the outrage? And women artists, we are the majority (51% of fine artists) so let's make sure we demand we get our fair due process. 

 

 

On a more postive note: I thank NMWA for starting the #5WomenArtists campaign. But it needs to be brought up more often on social platforms than just during Women's History Month! Let's agree to start #'ing it on every post. OK? Are you with me on this?

 

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

1. Please comment on my blog post. Let me know if you have any questions.

2. Join my Art Insider's Group for more in depth commentary, art and bonuses. Plus you will get the current FREE BONUS in your email. You don't know what you are missing!

3. And what about social media? Are you following me yet? Go there & follow me now, please.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest



#5WomenArtists #abstractart #painting #wallart #acrylicpainting #mixedmedia

Read More

8/6/2019 3:06:57 PM

Diversity: Do You Treat All People Equally?

Joyce Wynes / Comment on this

And is that even a possible goal in today's climate?

 

As a female, I know that I am NOT treated equally in many different areas of my life. Let me count the ways:

 

1.  When I worked for a corporation I was not looked at for advancement as the many men I had worked with even though I did most of the research for their projects.

 

2. As a female artist, it is more difficult for me to get into galleries and museums with my work. Here are the statistics to back this up that were reported in a Forbes article from various sources:

 

* A recent data survey of the permanent collections of 18 prominent art museums in the U.S. found that out of over 10,000 artists, 87% are male, and 85% are white. (Public Library of Science)

 

* Only 13.7% of living artists represented by galleries in Europe and North America are women. (artnet News) This is SHAMEFUL!

 

3. During meetings, and I have attended many, unless women become very vocal, I notice they are overlooked for the male views.

 

4.  And look at our federal government! They had a Women's Health Conference meeting and the only legislators around the table were men. OMG we really need to pick our legislators better. And younger with more modern views.

 

I could go on and on but it depresses me so much to think backwards.

 

 


 

What about racial biases?

 

I grew up in a racist environment.

 

My father was born in the South even though he had settled in NYS once he was married to my mother. And he was a racist. I was not and had black friends in school. One of the last conversations I had with him before he passed away was about race. And it is something I will never forget!

 

And some of the siblings in my family are racist. How does that happen? And the bickering to change my views are so tiring. I feel sorry for people who give so much weight to the color of someone's skin. It is just a color, not a determination of who they are.

 

As an artist, I look at color as a positive thing, something that gives me the opportunity to have a unique look and variety in my paintings.

 

I saw a big change in the last several years in acceptance of men and women of color, some good but a lot of bad too.

 

I thought things were getting better when I noticed more people of color on news shows giving commentary & our choice of a black president voted into office for 2 terms. Some things had changed but in the last several years race bias is rampant again.

 

The tone comes from the top to the bottom and the tone from the top has many racist overtones. So sad that people are condemned for the color of their skin. I just can't and won't tolerate it in my close environment anymore.

 

We are all the same and the color of our skin is just that, color and nothing more. When you think about it, how silly it is to be cruel to people because of the color of their skin. It makes no sense to me.

 

 

I think it is possible for women's equality to become stronger but I don't know if I will ever see gender or color bias go away completely.

 

I have fought for equality all my life as a female in all of my pursuits. It is tiresome and limits the potential of going as far as you can with your talents, whatever they may be.

 

Have you ever heard of the "Other" syndrome. I learned about it in my philosophy classes in college that it is human nature for people to want to have someone to look down upon. They do this to make themselves feel more powerful, better. Change takes a long time to propagate. I just heard a quote by Ivan Illich that I put below that makes so much sense to all of this nonsense for me...

 

"Neither revolution nor reformation can ultimately change a society, rather you must tell a more powerful tale, one so persausive that it sweeps away the old myths & becomes the preferred story." ~Ivan Illich

 

 

As a society, this could take forever and as an individual, that is a tall task for one person.
But, just maybe, if each person could come up with a more powerful tale for the equality and untrue beliefs that he/she carries around with them about gender and race, what a wonderful world it would be. Just take one powerful belief that you carry around that is weighing another person down. Then try to change that by coming up with a different story to create harmony in the world. I am going to try it.

 

My new belief for other female artists:
Female artists are just as good, and sometimes better, than male artists and can achieve whatever success they strive for. And I am going to share this belief with every person in the art field who persists and continues to ignore female artists who have some great work that is being neglected.

 

My new belief for racial bias:
Color is just that, a color. It does not determine who that person is as a human being.

 

Can you come up with a new, persausive belief that will create less weight for another person and repeat it over and over? Please share it below in the comments. And if you can't talk about this in a positive way, don't leave any comments.

 

____________________________________________________
1. Please comment on my blog post. Let me know if you have any questions.

2. Join my Art Insider's Group for more in depth commentary, art and bonuses. Plus you will get the current FREE BONUS in your email. You don't know what you are missing!

3. And what about social media? Are you following me yet? Go there & follow me now, please.

Facebook  •  Instagram  •  Twitter  •  Linkedin  •  Pinterest



#5WomenArtists #abstractart #painting #wallart #acrylicpainting #mixedmedia

Read More